Monday, May 18, 2009

Screaming (not streaming) video

Tried to help my father-in-law with his pc. Video signal went out on his. It's hard to troubleshoot over the phone, so in a way, I empathize with the tech support guys, wherever they are. My general conclusion was his video card went bad. So, he said he would enlist local son-in-law to help hook up the old IBM pc. No word as to the progress there. I suspect that when they do make this attempt, Sam's PC support will be called. It might be something else causing the problem, like a sleeping non-wakening pc or something.

My video started screaming again ... 2 weeks later. So, I assumed that there had to be others experiencing the same issues. I went to HP site and found a link to the customer forum. Searched about 15-20 minutes and found a thread that outlined almost the same ordeals that I had experienced. With the exception, that someone had determined or was informed that the video drivers needed to be updated, because the manufacturer nVidia encountered these issues from many customers. Basically, there was a software fix to control the fan on the video card. Without the fix, the fan would redline to the max, hence the screaming ja-willies (that is a word, albeit, a colloquial term .. hell, it's a country hick term). The software fix would better detect the need for speed, and throttle down accordingly. Everyone else on the forum didn't believe and some wouldn't even try it. I tried it and whattya know, it worked. I guess I didn't need a new video card in the first place. You'd think that HP tech support would know this by now. Now the only thing I can hear is the super-loud hum from the fluorescent light on my fish tank .. ahh, music to my ears .. well something other than the screaming fan.

Computers .. they're just machines with millions and millions of on-off switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment