Sunday, February 8, 2009

I suck at golf

I suck at golf. Well, sometimes. Let me rephrase ... a lot. My worst rounds seem to out number my average and best rounds. It's easy to say, "I just need to practice more". But then you realize that it means, more precisely, practice driving, practice fairway woods, hybrids and medium iron shots from different terrain (like the rough and the woods, not just the fairway .. by the way, if you can't drive consistently, you won't be in the fairway much), practice your long and half pitch shots, long and short chipping and long breaking putts, not to mention trying to hole 98% of your short putts from 6 feet and shorter. Get the picture? Seems like a lot of practice and too little time to play or better yet, to work and earn money so that you can play often on real courses without having to compromise with your other time and expenses. It is a vicious cycle.

So, why keep playing?
I was bitten by the golf bug many years ago and I have not gotten over the 'fever'. It can be a simple game, yet extremely difficult at times, especially for the average golfer like myself. Ok, I really don't consider myself average, because my score average is lower than the national average of 95. I've been averaging around 90 for the past two years. But they say 'Par for the course' is more like 71 and 72, depending upon the course. So, should I be shooting in the 70's? Should and can are miles apart right now. At least, that is what my ultimate goal for this game is. To shoot sub-par rounds would be a fluke for me and I don't need that kind of pressure, not for just playing golf for nothing other than recreation.

Yes, I suck at golf, but I love the game. I guess for me, it's the journey not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment